Skip to main content

I am the Woman who Breaks Families


I am the woman who breaks families.

Sita, Draupadi, Helen of Troy and the likes of them,
the ones who are known to have triggered wars
so tragic and glorious that poets, singers, storytellers
Couldn’t help themselves but keep those women alive
ages after their lifetime.
No war was their fault.
If something has to be blamed,
how about the fragile male ego?

Those wars,
- they were the wars of testosterone.
- they were to prove the right over wrong.
- they were to show the prince charming from ugly frog.
- they were to let men drown in their ego.
- they were to pump up the unquestioned pride.
- they were to limit women into boundaries.
- they had nothing to do with women.
- they were about men and their conquests.

I am no Sita, no Draupadi, no Helen
I am a woman who breaks families, for real.
I make married women from generations before feel useless.
I ask them, how could they tolerate what was done to them?
I ask them, why did they not voice themselves in their times?
They tell me, it was a different society that they grew up in.
They tell me, it was a different time that they grew up in.
I understand, and yet I tell them, speak now.
Women are not stupid, they know, they understand.

These women I talk to, they tell me to live my life.
- they tell me not to get married.
- they tell me, do something for yourself.
- they tell me, get a job, follow your passion.
- they tell me a lot of things,
But all I hear is a sad undertone in the words that try to encourage me.

I tell them, it’s not too late.
I tell them, women are doing wonders in old age.
I tell them, transgress, it’s not too late.
But I see, had I not told them anything at all.
They would have gone by doing their chores.
They wouldn’t have thought about what could have been
because their minds were already conditioned.
I wanted to help, I wanted to make them aware.
I forgot, in attempting to make meaning for my life,
I ended up making their lives meaningless.

I am the woman who breaks families.
I tell men, that they should take up some domestic chores.
I tell men, to share the unpaid labour.
Every woman needs her space, a room of her requirements.
I tell men, that they might not be active upholders of patriarchy
I tell men, that it’s the ideologies of society that need change.

Those men tell me, we haven’t tortured our women.
- how are we supposed to help?
- it’s not our fault.
- we don’t understand why you blame us.
I try to tell them that I don't.
I try to help them out of their social conditioning.
I try, I try, I try, I try to tell them they aren’t wrong,
That, they have to get together to do the right thing.

They look at me with desperate eyes,
They look at me as if I have accused them of crime.
And then I realise, I have broken their spirits.

I am the woman who breaks families.
Family is sacred. 
I have heard. I had believed.
But, individual became more important to me.
What was I to do in a family, without knowing myself?
What was I to do as a daughter, sister, or what-so-ever
if I did not know who I was as a woman?

All my relationships are named, with respect to the men in life.
I tell those men, you need to step out of the responsibility.
I tell those men, you need to find your individual self.
I tell those women, you need to find your individual self.
Because, when you do, you will speak for yourself.
You will make your voice heard.
Because you will be more important than everything else.
And that’s exactly what our society doesn’t want you to believe.

Society, as we know it, will crumble.
But another will replace it,
The one where humans find themselves,
and then choose to form personal, social and political bonds.
The one where every human is equal
And isn’t assigned roles to play before birth.
But till then, I am the woman who breaks families
because I make the men and women of a family think.
And thinking, it can be a boon and a bane.
A boon, for an individual; a bane, for a family.

I am the woman who breaks families,
And
I won’t be changing that anytime soon.

- Unashamed and without guilt.

Source: beatricebaiu.deviantart.com



Comments

Unknown said…
It is dangerous think that you do, not the family breaking but making the family think. It is dangerous more so because you make family think individually. If that breaks a family it never was a family. And that makes me a family breaker too. We need this to survive. What's been binding us must break to liberate us.

Popular posts from this blog

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply