Skip to main content

The Dilemma of being a Book Junkie

The first novel that I read was Chetan Bhagat’s One Night @ the Call Centre. The first novel series that I read was Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga. After that, I mostly read Nicholas Sparks and disliked Erich Segal. I read Ann Brashares’ Sisterhood series, Sarah Dessen’s The Truth About Forever, and Cecelia Ahern's books that made my teenage easy to bear. Harry Potter books happened to me only because I did not understand what happened in the movie - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I had read Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone as a kid. It was an utter pain to read such a thick book with tiny alphabets back then. Eventually, I was embarrassed of the books that marked the beginning of my reading habit. I was embarrassed only because people saw those books in a derogatory light.

After a few years of public comments on my book choices, I did begin to ask people if they had read those books. The answer usually was, no. It was then that I stood up for my ‘disastrous’ reads. It was then that I realized people are a herd of sheep. It was then that I realised books have a weightage in every circle, public and personal.

At the age of 15, I was not able to understand the problematic nature of Twilight Saga given I was brought up in a culture where stalking was romantic. People didn’t mention that as a problem because they got stuck at – love story between human, werewolf, and vampire. That’s hilarious to them, and unrealistic. (That’s the reason it’s called fantasy.) It took a Gender Studies interview three years ago to make me realise the problematic nature of Fifty Shades of Grey is not BDSM, and hence, I began to question my opinion of  books that I had read till then.

Now when I look at the books I used to read, I feel a sense of pride. Irrespective of public opinions, they got me interested in picking up novels. They made me buy Pride and Prejudice (which again is seen as petty by many) when I was 17. I tried to read it, I couldn’t. I tried again after a few months, I read it completely. I did not wonder about its title or Victorian England. But, I could relate it to a middle class household in present-day India. Eventually I did understand the criticism around it because the book was prescribed in my first semester at Delhi University.

Anyhow, I think I have established well enough that I did not have a literary beginning into the world of reading. The only thing was, even though I began with Chetan Bhagat and the likes of him, I did not stop at that. I kept moving on, aspiring for more, till I eventually reached the likes of Salman Rushdie. In public view, I perhaps went from derogatory to blasphemy. I claim to differ, confidently.

Some people know me as an ardent lover of books and an avid reader. They ask me for suggestions, every now and then. I dread that moment. I should be able to suggest books if I have read so much (that’s so little), right? But, I find myself at crossroads. What are the books for a beginner? What books can be suggested when without reading they believe the likes of Chetan Bhagat to be unreadable? What books can a person read if they cannot read fast? What books can I suggest that are neither literary nor Bhagat-ish? How can I suggest when I do not know their interest?

As a student of literature, the dilemma only enhances itself. People, who ask for suggestions, are too quick in their terms and conditions – ‘not from your list of literary books’. If I happen to tell them about a really interesting book that I had in my syllabus, they tag it as unreadable for 'normal' folks. It often leaves me stunned. I do not know how to convince people into reading who without any experience in the field have a very narrow idea of genres and authors.

After seven years of reading, I have understood the thing about my reading. I like a book by it’s narration. Spoilers do annoy me, but beauty of a book, for me, lies in the way it unfolds. Somehow, I have always been taken by narrations rather than stories. It is only after experimenting with genres one can recognize one’s interest. Having experienced that, how can I possibly suggest not only a book, but a good book!

At one point of time, I had discouraged people from reading books written by present day popular Indian writers. Now, I have begun encouraging them with my terms and conditions – begin but do not stop at that, read further, broaden your horizon. Not many in the field of literature suggest popular readings. I believe, books broaden one’s mind, thoughts, and actions. Sticking to a particular genre without knowing the unknown can be faulty on any reader’s part, whether literary or not.
Image - The tiniest part of my unread hoard.

If you are a non-literary person, do not put a person involved in literary field at a pedestal. For all you should know, most of us are quite orthodox in judging books by its popularity and readership. Everyone has their reasons, valid or invalid ones. Do not let any person look down on your reading choices. After reading the likes of ‘You can Win’, I do look down on the books that claim to tell you the right way of living and making choices. Yet, if it truly does help someone, I get interested in knowing how it did so before judging the person (I am only human, after all). As far as I am concerned, the Harry Potter books are the best life counselling books, only if one has eyes to look beyond ‘magic’ as their only feature.

Open your inner eye, see past the mass prejudices, find reasons that can convince you, read what pleasures you, and save me the trouble of judging myself as an incompetent person to suggest books. And do not, I repeat, do not judge a book without reading it.


Happy reading!


PS- I read Fifty Shades of Grey and its sequel only after my interview. Till then I was criticising it badly based on the noisy opinions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k