Skip to main content

Dear Hypothetical Kids, For once Moon was your Mother's Muse!

I spent the entire day reading about the once-in-a-lifetime lunar eclipse. 
Super Blue Blood moon. 
‘Can the name not be short?’,
I thought just like I had thought about my cancer -
Pre B Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, ten years ago.
I saw people sharing the time of eclipse’s visibility in different places. 
‘Ahh, not in India.’
Cool things never happen in India, 
sighed the multiple-times-disappointed-kid in me. 
But, then.
I saw someone share the time of visibility in the metro cities of India. 
I googled immediately, ‘Lunar eclipse visibility in Hyderabad.’
I saw many articles describing the reasons behind this particular eclipse being unique.
I gave it a thought, not much.

I am not one of those moon-watchers, you see.
The idea of moon’s beauty brought the idea of longing lovers. 
I tried, I tried really hard, to bring together love, longing, and moon.
It never happened.
But, for a little while, somewhere in my teens, I associated moon with imperfection.
I often wondered, if people can find this distant object beautiful with its blemishes,
then why was I tormented socially for my dark skin.
I never adored the moon, only its imperfection.
So, all I am saying is that I am not a moon-person.

The image that my Aunt sent on Whatsapp.
In the evening,
my Whatsapp buzzed with pictures of an orange moon sent by my aunt,
and a text from a dear friend said, "look at the moon."
I left my dinner halfway and rushed to the tiny balcony of my flat. 
I couldn't see the moon.
‘Why could I not see the moon!’
I panicked.
All I could think was, someday I am going to tell my kids
how their mother missed once in a lifetime eclipse
because she was lazy, and didn't bother.
The thought of disappointing my hypothetical kids,
as funny as it might seem, 
drove me to call one of my friends in the city
who could run to an open ground near his house.
I told him, "I can't watch the Super Blue Blood Moon,
please watch it, for me, just do it. Don't miss it."
He could not find the moon either.

I was not willing to accept that the eclipse isn’t visible in Hyderabad.
I told myself, ‘I haven't done everything yet.’
In that moment, I wore my pyjama and ran downstairs as soon as possible.
As I reached the gate of my apartment, I looked up.
There it was.
What a beauty!
The moon that I saw was shining bright on one side,
the other side had an orange perimeter that looked like a forest fire in the sky.
And in between was the beauty - the white, the black, and the colour.
I was ecstatic.
I called my flat mate, and she was surprised.
‘We can see it in India!’
‘Yes, and right from our apartment.’
She came running.
Excited, we ran together out on the road
to get an even better view.
I tried to click, click, and click again.
But I failed to capture an image, similar to the one I could see from my eyes.
I gave up after a few minutes.

I kept staring at it, waiting for the moon to be white again
with all it's dark spots. 
I felt so much, so many thoughts were echoing in my mind.
So, I began to write.
And here I am,
fifteen minutes after the eclipse ended,
fifteen minutes after moon being back to its normal self; 
Here I am,
writing, and staring up again and again.

Another image sent by my Aunt on Whatsapp.
My dear hypothetical kids, just so you know,
Your mother won't disappoint you.
Because, on an uneventful lazy January evening of 2018,
as she was juggling her many choices in life,
she chose to step out of her solitary room.
That night she looked at the moon,
for the beauty that it was,
without any stories of love and loss affecting her vision.

Here is the story of the night,
when moon finally became her muse,
for you and only you.

Comments

Pramod said…
Good. Nicely expressed. I didn't venture out to watch it. Don't know whether people here saw it or not. Enjoyed reading your blog.
Deepa Gopal said…
I was imagining it like a short film...beautifully written! Loved the hypothetical kids part the most :D I saw the full event from my balcony, there was no 'Blue' though not that 'Super' too in our parts of the world!! I am a moon-person, so couldn't miss it! Even when there's no such 'event' I moon-gaze.
Swastik kumar said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Swastik kumar said…
Hopefully you will enjoy the same view @2037
Unknown said…
I planned and watched it. :) I've written about it too. IDK if you allow post links here. Isn't it cute that we think about our hypothetical kids? Talk about muse, September is the month of musings for me. Want to join in?

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply