Skip to main content

Asha and Her Sand Castle

Her mother, lying on her back, was soaking in what was left of the setting sun. Lights were turning on. Without caring about the time of the day, there she sat, the six year old Asha in the sand. She was trying so hard to gather the wet sand and pile it up. She wanted to make her own castle, a castle she always dreamt of. Her twin brother stopped by her side every now and then. Most of the times, he messed up her small built tower. She was annoyed, but a lousy brother can not let a princess give up on her castle, can he?

She wanted perfection. Castle after castle, she sat back to have a good look at her creation every time. She made a pyramid, but it didn’t have grace. She made a tomb, but it was too depressing. Nothing discouraged her. She had a dream, and she was confident to make it real. She looked at her sleeping mother. No ideas were going to come from her. She saw her brother play in the water. Her father was nowhere to be seen. She was alone, she was covered in sand, and she wasn’t tired. She had spent the entire afternoon building her dream home. True to her name, she never lost hope.

As the sun set, her brother told her that she was wasting her time. She was missing the fun of being in water. She smiled, and ignored. She went back to her castle by the water. It was amazing how she could do anything with it. It gave freedom to her imagination to go wild. I think, she finally stopped when the head of her castle was as pointy as a Samosa. Oh, how much she loved having Samosa! She did not get the luxury of eating it often, but when she did get it, she would hold on to the memory of it till the next time. Satisfied with her food castle, she finally went to join her brother to play in the water.

I saw her on my way to get the week’s grocery. I watched her struggle to make the perfect castle. I watched the siblings tease and play. And, I also saw a carefree mother asleep on the sand. It was a basic scenery of a family on the beach. As I stood on my way, worrying about being broke for the month, I realized happiness can come in such small packets. To many, Goa is a dream destination. To some, the sand piled up for a construction site can be the perfect place to build castles, especially when the cloud burst from the previous evening created a big puddle beside it. Every time a vehicle passed by, it created ripples that were no less than the waves in a sea. Asha had probably never even been to Hussain Sagar Lake, in the city where her mom slept on the footpath. She probably never had a fresh crispy Samosa. Jumping in the puddle is as close as could get to the idea of a beach. But nothing stopped a homeless girl's determination to turn wet sand into a perfect castle where her princess self would live happily ever after.  

Image Source: Shutterstock

Comments

I have always felt that some of these children emerge as very strong minded individuals

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply