Skip to main content

I Love Cooking, and I Deny Gender Roles to Overshadow it

One day in my M.A. classroom, a professor was teaching Emily Dickinson’s “She Sweeped with Many-Colored Brooms”, and I was scribbling a poem of my own in the last page of my notebook. I stared up, not looking at anything in particular, unaware that my gaze was in direct contact with that of the professor. He asked me, “Do you sweep at home?” “Yes”, I replied. “Girls usually sweep”, was his response. Unable to control the rising adrenaline and noradrenaline within me, I replied without being asked, “I sweep because I live alone, I cannot afford a maid (irrespective of my issues with cheap labour), and I like a clean room. I don’t think it has got anything to do with me being a girl. I am sure, any responsible human would do so.” I do not remember what happened next as my response was ignored. I went back to writing my poem. Do you realise what happened in those few minutes? My developing sense of responsibility was overshadowed by my social sex, my gender, and its role in this society. That, my friend, is the pathetic society we live in.

As a growing kid, I was not really guilty of not wanting to help my mother in the kitchen. I watched her wash raw fish, I got her detergent to wash the sink later, I kept the washed utensils back in their spots, but never did I offer her any help when it came to cooking. As a teenager it felt weird, because my friends were being ordered into the kitchen. My mother never did that to me. If she spoke about her kids learning to cook, which included my elder brother along with me, she said, “You should know how to cook so that you can survive alone.”  I did not care. I looked at my brother, who always experimenting in kitchen. He cooked an entire lunch for Mom, Dad, and me, when we returned from Vellore one time (I think he was still in school, or perhaps beginning college). And baking cake, that’s his forté. In the absence of my Mom, Dad took care of the cooking. As far as my ignorant mind was concerned, cooking made me a conventional girl, something my friends hated because they were forced into it. So, I stayed away from it, as much as I could.

One day when I was eighteen, I moved out from the comforts of my home. I left my mom, and her cooking behind. I lived in a PG in Delhi, where food habits were quite different from where I had spent my life till then. Not surprisingly, I hated the food. Why did every curry taste the same? How do people eat just Rajma-Chawal or Dal-Chawal? Where did the concept of a proper meal go? I learnt then, food is for surviving, not for taste buds. The year that followed, I denied staying in a PG that offered food. Tired of sharing room for a year with zero privacy and lots of unwanted compromises, I wanted to live alone. I was told, “You can live alone if you can cook for yourself.” Cooking became a big problem, and the license to my freedom. No matter how much you love junk food, you cannot have them thrice daily every day, week, month, and year. I moved to another PG and then another, neither of them provided food. I began with bread omelette as my staple diet for some days, and corn flakes helped at times. I learnt how to prepare pulao, and a couple of dry curries. By the end of my graduation, my parents were sure I can survive with couple of my friends who took turns with me to prepare meals that we shared.

After my graduation, I moved to Hyderabad and then began the struggle of dealing with another level of food habits. Who eats rice in the morning, irrespective of lemon or tamarind in it? Who eats that sour liquid, that seems like Sambar but isn’t Sambar, with rice? Why was it happening to me, all over again? This time I was adamant on getting myself a flat, not simply because of the food but because, I lived in a tiny room with four beds pushed in. There was no question of freedom of reading late night, and that is a big issue in my head. The question that followed this time was, “If you keep cooking, how are you going to study?” I replied, “how am I going to study, if I skip meals all day?” After much searching and convincing, I got my parents to allow me to stay alone in a room in a 2bhk, the other room taken by a girl who loves her privacy as much as I love mine. No unnecessary interruption, no question on your life style, complete freedom to switch on/off lights, and finally in the true sense, a kitchen of my own where I can cook anything.

I want to eat pasta. I want to eat bitter gourd. I want to eat Gobi Manchurian. I want to eat something that is not Maggi at two in the morning. I want to have the classic pakode and chai when it rains. I can add as much cheese as I want, to my food. I can cook all of it, no matter what I want to eat, and I do not even have to wait for the stalls and restaurants to open in the morning or cry about the unavailability of good momos in Hyderabad. If that’s not brilliant, then what is? Some choose to crib, I choose to cook.


A recent serendipity while cooking a simple curry
that became grand by the ingredients I kept adding!
In five years of struggle for freedom and privacy, I fell in love with cooking for the joy of independence it brought. I keep thinking, how grateful I am to my parents who did not force me into cooking because I was the girl in our house, and my brother for being the constant inspiration of experimenting in kitchen. If he could, then why can’t I? My mom’s words still echo in my ears, “You should know how to cook to survive alone, irrespective of being a boy or a girl.” As much as some people are happy about my responsible life, some tend to say, “You are a girl, it’s good that you know how to cook.” I add the unsaid, “You are eligible for marriage now.” To others however, cooking seems to come naturally to a girl so they dismiss it as nothing. I do not accept it. I didn’t learn cooking because I am a girl who is ultimately to be married off. I learnt it because being a girl in this society isn’t easy, especially if she prioritises freedom and privacy over other things. I can not let my gender nullify something that I am so proud of: of turning from a reckless person into a responsible one of sorts, as a part of being independent.


Comments

ADITI said…
Loved reading this. I used to peep in the kitchen since I was a kid, and my mother used to shoo me away. My mother used to scold me and tell me go and study. She allowed me to cook eggs (omelette, scrambled) when I 11but she used to tell me 'we are not going to marry you off to someone to cook for him, just go and study'. Slowly and steadily my love for cooking grew, and we were inseparable, mum gave up😂

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply