Skip to main content

That "Lootera wali Feeling"

The outline of the distant hill keeps it separated from the dark blue sky. Forgive me for my incompetence with shades of colours. The hill looks darker than the sky, towards a shade of black. The river that buzzes throughout the day with the people from nearby slums bathing and washing clothes is camouflaged in the darkness, so does the narrow sandy road to it. But in complete silence, one can hear the sound of the river flowing. The railway line and the road by its side cannot be seen either. But every now and then, a car or a motorbike passes by. It’s headlights are the only lights. Sometimes the vehicle goes in a jiffy, sometimes it’s slower. But every time it does, my mind goes back to the underrated romance that I love so much.

Source: Google Image Search ( :P )
As the night takes over dusk, I look outside my window and tell mom, “this view gives me such a Lootera feeling.” My mom asks me, “What is a Lootera wali feeling?” I say, “You know, when Ranveer and Sonakshi are returning, theirs is the only car on the otherwise secluded road. The yellow light inside the car is the only light in the darkness and in that, a budding romance that isn’t as straightforward in words as the present day romances are. After all, dishahara kemon boka monta re. ('Monta re')” I keep the last part to myself. By the time I have finished explaining, the members of my family have busied themselves in their work. And I am left alone in my musing, smiling while looking outside my window.

A couple of days ago when I was listening to the songs of Lootera, I felt that it is a perfect monsoon playlist. Not that the playlist is seasonal, but it is perfect for monsoon. After a scorching summer which we Indians cannot enjoy for picnic like people in England might, rain is blissful. The dried up twigs and branches are replaced by greenery. The rivers start flowing again. Life in its most natural form is rejuvenated. And poor sinus-inflicted souls like me, who can neither tolerate the heat nor the air conditioner, find the much needed respite as monsoon takes over. Also, thanks to Hindi movies that I have literally watched innumerably as a kid, monsoon comes with the idea of romance, be it the “kaate nahi katte din ye raat (Mr. India)” (then ashleel to my kid self) romance or “Tumse hi (Jab We Met)."

The view from my balcony :)
I am not the person who goes outside when it’s raining, with or without an umbrella. People have told me I am missing out. It never bothered me. I am the person, who would love to sit in the balcony or near a window that gives a great view of nature, the greenery that I miss much having lived in metros for last five years. I sit with a mug of coffee or a cup of tea, whichever suits the mood, with an unread book. Yes, unread, because when the view outside is so great, I fail to do anything else. I try, to swallow every bit of it, as in a month I will be back in a metro. And as it begins to rain, my mind starts singing,

Yun to solah saawan aaye gaye
Gaur nahi kiya humne
Bheega mann ka aangan iss martaba
Na jaane kya kiya humne . . . (‘Manmarziyaan’)

And it goes all the way to “...Qabr par mere sar utha ke khadi ho zindagi, aise marna hai mujhe...('Zinda')” Amitabh Bhattacharya and Amit Trivedi created magic for me, with such soulful lyrics and music. The subtlety of the romance in the film wins over my otherwise hopeless heart. To be honest, such a real life romance probably would frustrate me, but on screen it’s 'oh so perfect'. That beautiful pain. The lyrics just add to every damn scene, for example, in the second half of the movie few lines of ‘Shikayatein’ tell the viewer of the changed dynamics between the protagonists,

Na udne ki iss dafaa thami,
parindo ne bhi wafa jani
Andhere ko baahon me leke,
Ujalo ko ghar banaya hai
Churaya tha jo chukaya hai

Oh! How can one not fall in love with Lootera. In the beginning I admired the movie because of its adaptation of ‘The Last Leaf’ by O. Henry . I was amazed how the theme of masterpiece was kept intact in the added romance and how the “bheel ke raja” story within the story untwirls itself. But as I watched it again and again, I was taken by the heart aches to express love; the unexplained heartbreaks that lead to a love that inspires when the will to live is lost. Oh, that beautifully painful feeling!

If you haven’t gone beyond ‘Sawaar loon’ then you must do it now. And for whatever reason you haven’t seen  Lootera, keep it aside and watch it. You might not like it but then, there’s a chance to fall in love with it. As it begins to drizzle outside my window again, I can’t help but think, “Baarishein naarahzgi bhi jata jati hain, kabhi kabhi ambar ki (‘Ankahee’)”.  


*Goes to watch the movie one more time*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply