Skip to main content

Through a Half-open Window

It began with a ‘Hi’. No, I think it began with a concern. ‘Whose kid is he, walking on the boundary wall?  How can parents leave kids at that? I hope he doesn’t fall.’ He jumped inside, my heart skipped a beat. I reminded my scared self, kids don’t develop the sense of fear so early. I let a short laughter out loud. I cannot jump from two feet height on to the ground now. In my musing, I forgot that I was still looking in the direction of the kid. He had seen his stalker by then.

He waved. I ignored. I went back to chopping vegetables. It was noon already and lunch was yet to be prepared. I looked up through the window, he was right there waving with a big smile. This time, I smiled back. I ran through the kitchen, assembling ingredients and vessels. Then I heard a ‘Hi’. I saw  across the window. I did not reply. I was chopping bitter gourd by then. I stopped and stared; I looked up, smiled, and said ‘Hi’. I saw him jump in glee. He went up the wall, walked, and jumped. This time, amusement took over the initial concern. Oh kids! How free they are!

He asked me to wait in my kitchen in front of the window facing North. In front of me, the view was breathtaking. The usually dried up stream overflowed with water as it had been raining heavily since a week. The mountains were lush green with vegetation. A train passed by in the usually deserted track. And the road, the thin road had a few bikes running on it every now and then. Oh, he asked me to wait, didn’t he? He said that he will get his friend. I thought, this is my chance to escape. Human interactions! Aren’t they awkward enough? I have never been great with kids, anyway.

I hurried, washed the rice, put it in the pressure cooker, and covered the bitter gourd in the pan to cook, or rather burn a little. How much I love the taste of a little burnt bitter gourd! By then, he was back. I avoided looking in his direction. But then, there were two hands waving at me. I smiled, but didn’t stop working. I was late already. As I moved from kitchen to dining room to set the table for lunch, I wondered who these kids are. They don’t look from around here. I gave in to the temptation. I went back to the window and asked, “where do you live?” He pointed to a house diagonally from his position. Why did I ask? I moved in here three days ago, I don’t know the place anyway. Probably, I shouldn’t have encouraged such interaction. Who are their parents? They don’t look like they are from well-to-do families. Why are they creating such sounds? I assumed it was a stunt to get my attention back. A few minutes later, when I looked back, he said he will bring his brother too. I couldn’t wait. The dal was done but the custard for dessert needed my attention. Lunch was ready and I still had to hurry. My husband will be back anytime now. His lemonade should be prepared before he comes. But the kid was back and he wouldn’t let go. Now there were three kids and an awkward woman on the opposite sides of the window who waved and smiled at each other, now and then. After a while, they began to leave. The first kid called out, “Didi, we are going to play. Bye.” My relieved heart waved a big and loud ‘Bye’.

Finally, no more awkwardness, I sighed. Yet, I smiled. How fast the monotonous one and a half hours passed by today! Kids, from a distance, are amusing. With the hot food aligned on the dining table, and chilled lemonade, I sat musing about how awkwardly happy I felt. Minutes later, my husband entered the house in annoyance, “These workers’ kids, look, how noisy they are!”

I smiled, one last time.

The non-workers’ kids, after all, wouldn’t have waved at a bored stranger through a half open kitchen window.



Comments

Pramod said…
Nice story. I can recognise the location. Keep going.

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply