Skip to main content

Change is the Need of the Hour

When I visit my parents, I often hear the neighbours saying to my mother, ab to beti aa gayi hai, aapko help mil jaegi. Probably it is a proud moment for the entire ‘Women’ community, but personally it pisses me off. No, I do not mind helping my mother in her chores. I mind when people believe it is the duty of the daughter to do so. When asked, why not the son’s? The most common answer is, Arre wo to nalayak hai, ladke thodi samajhte hain. Personally, I believe not only this statement is offensive to men but also comments about the speaker’s failure in parenting. But then it is the socially accepted characteristics for men to be careless and women to be responsible. Yes. And if it does not offend you, then you are another deluded toy in the game of patriarchy.

The colours pink and blue aren’t merely a couple of shades in the crayons set but they represent the two widely acknowledged gender. The moment the sex of the baby is known, the parents, the relatives, the neighbour etcetera shower the gifts assigned to the gender. A pink frock for the girl, a blue t-shirt for the boy; a Barbie doll for the girl, a remote controlled car for the boy; a kitchen set for the girl, a G.I. Joe for the boy; fairy tales for the girls, the tales of manliness for the boys; Kinderjoy for both, but the girl cries for the pink one and the boy wants the blue one. And so, kids are fit in the inelastic cups of gender, which isn’t even seen as a spectrum but as male and female.

Gender roles are defined by the society in terms of femininity or masculinity. A little diversion from these makes a girl a ‘tomboy’ and a boy, 'devoid of his manliness’. The constant pressure to fit into the pre-defined norms of society takes away the ‘choice’ of being who they are from the kids from a very early age. The mother constantly pesters the girl to know how to do all the household works where as the boy learns to do the works outside the home. There is nothing wrong with the division of labour but the problem is when the domestic unacknowledged labour is claimed as the love of a wife or a mother, the outside labour is seen as the hardwork of being the breadwinner of the family.

This (un)acknowledgement of labour gives the idea to the kids in the family that, the mother was born to do the household chores where as the father had to work hard to get where he is. A sick man can take a leave from his office but a sick woman sees no signs of an off day unless she is in a hospital bed, perhaps. The kids in the family look up to this, only to subconsciously for the notion that life is a duty and choice has no role to play.

A woman at home if asks for a role reversal, it is not for equality. It is a desperate attempt to make the other members in the family understand that household chores aren’t as easy as they seem. It is a helpless cry for help. It is a plea to free her from the assigned duty and let her make a choice to live her life. Although, a role reversal might help in acknowledging the works of both the genders resulting in respect for each other’s share of work. It does not preach equality if the labour goes socially/politically unacknowledged in the end.

Lately many ads have attempted to break the gender stereotypes. An ad even attempted to show that the lady is the man’s boss at work but comes back home to call and ask him what he would like to have for dinner. This in no way is breaking the stereotype. It is saying that even if women progress outside home, they still have to come back to their duty of ‘being’ a woman. No ad before the Ariel, #ShareTheLoad could show it right.

If one day, people stop saying the girl child that she needs to learn cooking so that she can be eligible for marriage and instead start saying to both the kids that cooking plays a big role in being independent then maybe we will  pave a path towards equality. One day, if we tell the kids that they should dust of the centre table as they watch their favourite TV show then maybe they will know that mothers aren’t born for cleaning things. One day, if the husband decides to do the chores (even if only on his off days) then the kids will know that it is okay for the father to do the things that the mother does and it is, in no way, a threat to his manliness. One day, if the parents tell their son to help his sister in the chores she has been given (or vice versa) then maybe the kids will know that it is a shared job. One day, when the son asks why he needs to know the household chores and the parents reply because it is not taught in any institution, then maybe things will change. One day, when both the man and woman are tired from work and decide to order food at home instead of either of them stepping into the heat of the kitchen, then maybe things will change. One day, when the kids ask why they need to know these things in life, if the answer they get is to be happily independent (instead of making others happy), then maybe things will change. One day, if the man and woman realise that they were brought up without a choice and realise how wrong it is, then maybe they will try not to pass on this inequality to the next generation.


If we stop accepting that the sons in this society are supposed to be nalayak (and in fact, take offense), then maybe things will begin to change. If we try to change without thinking of being the odd duck then maybe things will begin to change. When we truly attempt to be the change in the society without assuming that 'nothing is going to change' then maybe things will begin to change. Because change is the need of the hour. 


Image source : iknowpolitics.org


I am taking part in the #ShareTheLoad Challenge with Ariel and Akshara at BlogAdda.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leukemia... Not Just a Disease!

People who have not suffered from leukemia think it is a deadly disease, obviously they’re right and for people who come to know that they’re suffering from leukemia are most of the times devastated, provided they know what leukemia is! And as far as my reaction is concerned…well then I was not in a state of shock because then I just knew I had some kind of a problem in my blood and I did not even know leukemia is blood cancer. It was 6 months after my treatment started that I came to know what Leukemia is…Thanks to my Grandfather! Even then I wasn’t upset much, probably just a bit, as I knew I am going to be fine. For me, Leukemia was never just a disease, when I say never I mean it. It has given a meaning to my life. My stay in CMC, Vellore and my Leukemia has taught me a lot of things which some people fail to learn and realize in their life time. Here are six of my realizations:          There is no bigger exam than LIFE itself - Life is the exam where we don’t k

An Empath’s World: The House In the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

  When identity politics begins to seem overwhelming you enough to want to get away from it entirely, the go-to book is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It’s a go-to book on any bad day when hope seems too far away, life doesn’t make much sense, meaninglessness reigns, and peace is forgotten. To me, it was a return to the real world, a world I had shut myself away from because it seemed too cruel and hopeless to change. It was a resurrection of faith in kindness. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT Linus Baker works as a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He visits orphanages for magical children, interacts with the masters of the place, and at times, with children if needed. He files a report recommending whether the orphanage should remain as it is, or be shut down. He lives a quiet, solitary life, abides by RULES AND REGULATIONS of DICOMY. He is so good at what he does that he is selected by the Extremely Upper Management for a highly classified job – to be a ca

Why am I Single? ? ?

  Because I have built walls around my heart. So even if someone starts getting close to me they cannot penetrate through the walls as I have used Ambuja cement. [:-P] And if by any chance I get a proposal, I am angry about it. So you see, NO chance!   Because I cannot imagine falling in love, not that it is something to imagine but still ‘Me in Love' is the joke of my life and I can really laugh about it for hours. In fact I have been laughing for a long while now. [Hopeless Romantic of all times.]   Because even though it was for a short time period but I had the best relationship which had no demands, no expectations, and no complaints. When they started arising, the relationship ended. [:-P] Because I cannot tolerate any kind of dominance and the ones I see these days, ‘Why do you upload your photo on FB’ ‘Deactivate your account’ ‘You can’t talk to other guys’ ‘you can’t click a photo with them because you’re with me’ 'blah blah blah'  are simply